The ARM & HAMMER logo was first used in the early 1860’s by James A. Church, the son of Dr. Austin Church, one of the U.S. founders of our business. James A. Church operated a spice and mustard business known as the Vulcan Spice Mills. In Roman mythology, Vulcan, the god of fire, was especially skilled in fashioning ornaments and arms for the gods and heroes. The ARM & HAMMER logo, therefore, represented the arm of Vulcan with hammer in hand about to descend on an anvil.
In 1867, when James A. Church joined his father as a member of Church & Co., he brought along the ARM & HAMMER trademark. He began to use it on some of the baking soda packages that were being sold under various name labels. After a period of time, more people requested the package with the ARM & HAMMER logo on it than all others and the ARM & HAMMER brand became our primary trademark.
Originally used exclusively on our baking soda packages, the trademark now identifies an array of quality consumer and specialty products in use throughout the world. Today Church & Dwight Co., Inc., strives to continue its tradition of providing products of high quality and performance that meet genuine consumer needs.
Copyright 1999, 2007 Church & Dwight Co., Inc
Please update your browser to either IE 8+, Firefox, Chrome, Safari